Skip to main content

This is why acid attacks continue to destroy lives

 Last week, I went to my local kirana store and bought a bottle of ‘acid’.

You know the kind of store I mean -- one those neighbourhood shops that stocks everything from groceries to greens, to cheap Made-in-China toys, to household germ killers.

I wanted acid to clean my bathroom. So the friendly shopkeeper called out to his assistant: “Hey, get that bottle of ‘acid’, will you.”

“Do I need to wear gloves or any protective clothing,” I asked.

“No, you can either use it as is, or dilute it,” he replied.

The shopkeeper did not ask me for either age-proof or id. The other patrons around me saw nothing amiss, either. They went about their purchases.

So for just Rs 60, I gingerly carried a bottle of ‘acid’ home.

Life went on as usual.

But should it? Shouldn't we all be more concerned that acid can be bought so easily? Did you know that the Supreme Court has laid down a number of guidelines against such sale or purchase of acid, in order to prevent acid attacks?

For instance, the SC has stated that:

       Over the counter sale of acid is completely prohibited unless the seller maintains a log/register recording the sale of acid which will contain the details of the person(s) to whom acid(s) is/are sold and the quantity sold. the log/register shall contain the address of the person to whom it is sold.

       All sellers shall sell acid only after the buyer has shown:A photo ID issued by the Government which also has the address of the person.

       Specifies the reason/purpose for procuring acid.

       All stocks of acid must be declared by the seller with the concerned sub-Divisional • Magistrate (sDM) within 15 days.

       No acid shall be sold to any person who is below 18 years of age.

Source: http://ncrb.gov.in/NCRB_Journal/NCRB_Journal_October_2018.pdf

 How did these guidelines come into being? Because a gutsy teen did not let a horrific acid attack destroy her dreams or her life. Laxmi Agarwal was just 15 when she was attacked with sulphuric acid by a 32-year-old who was angry because she rebuffed him. The teen did not just overcome the heinous crime committed upon her, she filed a PIL (Public Interest Litigation) in the SC. This led to changes in the criminal justice system and to setting up a rehabilitation scheme for survivors of acid attacks. Yes, the same Laxmi whose life has been portrayed by Deepika Padukone in Chhapaak, released this month.

The actor has been lauded for her role as acid attack survivor Malti. In the run-up to the movie’s release, Padukone was present at a protest in Jawaharlal Nehru University. Some on social media hailed her a ‘shero’; others spewed vitriol calling her ‘anti-national’. Padukone, a  co-producer of Chhapaak through her new company Ka Productions, has been undeterred. She has actively promoted the movie across social networking platforms. There have been missteps. For instance, on TikTok, the actor challenged a makeup artiste to recreate her favourite ‘looks’ from three movies -- Om Shanti Om, Piku and Chhapaak. Viewers (and I agree) pointed out that labelling her Chhapaak portrayal a ‘look’ trivialises the message of the movie.

But Padukone and team have done other things right. In a ‘social experiment’ (their words, not mine), they proved what I recently discovered -- that acid is still freely available for sale. They sent actors as various characters -- a drunk, a housewife, a husband, etc -- across Mumbai to “buy the strongest acid possible”. The ‘actors’ bought 24 bottles of acid, just like that.

Watch the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=327&v=knAo0t0bSUA&feature=emb_logo

In my case, I went to the store as myself, lugging my yoga mat along (I had just finished my evening yoga class). The bottle I bought for just Rs 60 is being sold as a ‘toilet cleaner’. But it also bears the words HCL. HCL is hydrochloric acid (and in gaseous form, a highly toxic gas, hydrogen chloride). HCL is described here https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Hydrochloric-acid as a “highly corrosive liquid”.

Apathy and agony

I am disturbed that I got hold of acid so easily and that everyone around me appeared oblivious and apathetic to what I did. Why is it important that we care? Because an acid attack does not just burn away the skin, eyes, mouth, hair and clothes, or even, melt internal organs. Because it affects not just the intended victim, but also her family (the majority of those attacked are women, no surprises there). Because the survivor has to then, wait years for justice -- Laxmi was attacked with acid in 2005. The SC judgement banning the OTC sale of acid (among others) came only in 2013.

But what is truly remarkable is that the acid cannot destroy the indomitable human spirit. Bright, beautiful and inspiring Laxmi Agarwal is herself living proof.

Listen to her talk at TEDx Jaipur to understand what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fq0YvfluN4

 In seconds, an acid attack changes lives, causes irreversible and indescribable damage. As for the pain of the acid eating into skin, bones, hair, organs -- I cannot even imagine what that feels like. 

And as I carried that bottle of ‘acid’ home, I found myself thinking that Rs 60 is the cost of a human life in our country.

(I wrote this in January and an edited version was published as an opinion piece in Deccan Herald on Jan 23, 2020) 

https://www.deccanherald.com/opinion/here-s-why-acid-attacks-still-continue-to-destroy-lives-797435.html 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My other uterus

Read the other day about an American woman who had twins. Nothing exceptional in that, except that she has a condition called uterus didelphys, a rare congenital phenomenon where the uterus comprises not one, but two cavities or two separate uteruses. Basically, the babies grew in the two uterii. Okay so what, you think. Well, I have two uteruses (or uterii, or whatever), too. And I just had a baby. My baby grew in my right uterus, so the left one was empty. But it kinda made way as the right one expanded over a period of nine months. So did my stomach stick out on one side? Nope. It looked like every other pregnant woman's tummy. It was only different on the inside. This uterus didelphys is a tricky thing. Doctors will tell you that conception is well nigh impossible with this condition. That you need fertility treatment, IVF, pill-popping, all the very best medical science can offer. And of course, if you also have poly cystic ovaries like I do, things look even worse. But gues

Hooked

I think I'm hooked. Totally and absolutely Booked. I've got it real bad And that's kinda sad. Shopping was never my thing It didn't give me a zing. Problem is, this is so easy Sounds darn cheesy. But when I spot a deal Half-price, what a steal! It's like I'm manic Some kind of panic. No time to ponder, or reflect Here goes nothing, what the heck! First I click on buy Then I go, oh my! For I've done it again Seen a sale, felt the pain Of being afflicted Totally addicted To shopping online Come rain or shine. So yeah, I'm hooked, Absolutely booked. I don't know what to do. How about you? ______________________

Pain (a short-fiction piece)

"Shalu, open the door. For god's sake, let me see you. Please, can we talk?” She can hear the desperation in Ajith's voice. In the background, a child is crying loudly, their son. He is scared something is wrong with amma and appa. His hands, feet and neck are red and slightly swollen. The mark of an angry hand is clearly visible. Her hand.   She cannot open the door. cannot move, the pain inside her so full to bursting that only a greater pain can make it bearable. This hand I used to hit him, she mumbles to herself, this hand, I wish I could cut it off, if only...it will break, crumble into nothingness. Just like me, just like me.... She stops, body bruised and aching. Throwing herself against the wall again and again, to dull the pain inside, has left her knuckles grazed, but the bones are not broken. No, not so easy to break, she thinks. Not so easy to erase what I have done to the one being who is solely dependent on me. I am a monster. Outside the locked door