Skip to main content

On seeing millions walking home...

We saw them on our way to work
In those makeshift tarpaulin shacks
Naked children playing with roadside trash
Near piles of their own excreta
As skeletally thin mothers tried to cook gruel in pots,
We looked but didn’t really see. 

Every morning, we saw them from our cars
Shrunken bodies in tattered clothes, in a huddle
Waiting for an ‘agent’ to get them work.
What did we do then?
We cranked up the AC, we plugged into podcasts
“How long before this signal changes, damn it!”

We drank the bytwo coffee they served us in darshinis
We looked but didn’t really care to see.
We were too preoccupied with ‘personal milestones’
That we just had to share on our Insta Stories
#Ran5Kms #FeelingStrong #LifeIsGood #FeelingBlessed

We passed under-construction sites
In our localities and our neighbourhoods. 
We saw them and... we quickened our steps.
We held handkerchiefs (no masks then, you see!) to our noses
Oh, the smell! These people are so filthy!

We saw them. We all did.
How could we possibly not?
They were on every street.
They were part of our cities.
They were part of our everyday lives.                         
Yes we looked. But didn't really see

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...