Skip to main content

Faking it on Facebook

Ever get the feeling that you're faking it?
I feel that most days. In fact, I know I am. Being fake, I mean.
Especially on social media.
Which, in itself, is an oxymoron, come to think of it. To me, at least.
Because we are not really all likeable and loveable and sociable.
In real life, it is not humanly possible to be friends or friendly, all the time.
Rather, we diss and dissect. We gossip and bitch, about each other.
But we continue to fake it, online.
And social media lets us. 

The other day, I was depressed and down in the dumps.
Seeing all the happy-awesome posts in my Facebook feed, made things infinitely worse.
So I lost it, after seeing a 'friend' upload a couple of 100 pictures (okay, I exaggerate) in a matter of minutes, from her fabulous break.
So well, I bitched about that to a group of friends on WhatsApp.
And nobody reacted or agreed with me. 
Naturally, I felt awful. Wicked. Like a total bitch.
To make matters worse, the next day, the person I originally bitched about proceeded to 'like' one of my own posts on FB.
I felt even more evil, after that.

The problem is, there is no depth, no real feeling, no real connecting or reaching out, on social media.
It's all on the surface. It's all so so superficial.
But guess what, now I've learnt my lesson.
When the superficiality of it all gets to me.
All I have to do is post some random pseudo-deep stuff, pretending those are my innermost insights (yeah, repetitive, but I like it).
And the world will 'like' it and share.
And hopefully, I will feel better.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...