Skip to main content

Bunking school and other stories

Last night, big man and I stayed up till 3 am to watch the Argentina-Netherlands football match. And before we slept, he and I had a brief conversation. "Let him bunk school," said he. "No, I don't want him to miss school, when he is perfectly well and able," insisted me.

Naturally, I woke up to regret that.

Got out of bed fuzzy, woolly-headed and utterly disoriented. But also filled with what-a-worthy-mom-am-I pride. I'd had barely three hours of sleep, after all. And there I was doing my best to ensure that my child went to school well-fed, healthy and on time. What an amazing parent I was being, I told myself.

Then sitting in the loo, trying to shake the cloudiness from my head, I hear a tinny voice reciting numbers. It's Ayush, our security man Naveen Bahadur's four-year-old. Naveen, his wife Nirmala, Ayush and their new baby boy live in a room in our building basement. And since our flat is a ground floor one, we hear practically everything that goes on with Naveen's family. Every morning I hear Ayush sleepily throw tantrums, wanting his ma's attention, while she, tired out from tending to her newborn, tries to be patient. I don't know how she does it.

So this morning, what I hear is Ayush reciting his numbers, ''1, 2, 3, 4, 5...'' he says determinedly. Its 7 am, mind you. And Nirmala's newborn is just about a month old. (She told me recently that the baby tends to wake up around 3.30 am and drift in and out of sleep. Since she is also nursing, I can imagine what kind of a physical, emotional and mental strain she is going through right now.) Ayush has recited till 13 or 14 and gets stuck. Then I hear Nirmala prompt him '15, 16,..." she says and he goes on from there. He goes up to 20 or something. Then I don't hear any more, because I suddenly decide then and there that I will get everything ready for little man's breakfast and snack. 

This is not the first time I've heard Nirmala being totally hands-on with Ayush. In May, when she was (she is a tiny 4' 11' in height) totally big and uncomfortable in her pregnancy (the last trimester is horrible as all moms-to-be know), I used to see her sit with Ayush and make him practise his writing. How she did that I don't know. In May, I had not bothered to make sure our little guy did any writing. To tell the truth, I was then more keen on making sure he went to summer camp and got out of  my hair! Anyway, seeing her do this made me feel extremely guilty so I too dug out some of little man's old writing books and made him do some writing exercises. That made me feel a little better.

Big man and I are fortunate to have choices. We chose to stay up, and we even toyed with the idea of letting our child bunk school so we could sleep in a bit. But for Naveen and Nirmala, there is no choice, really. They need their child to do well at school.

Which is why they will do everything they can, to make that happen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...