Skip to main content

A confession

So you voted? Wow. Did you click a selfie with your inked finger prominent?
Wonderful.

Well, as for me, I have a secret that's been giving me heartburn.
I didn't vote. I didn't get my voter ID on time, you see.

So I have not been on Facebook with my voting selfie. And each time someone puts up a post saying "If you don't vote, you don't have the moral right to talk about corruption or lazy corporators or crib about how your city/state/the country is run", my heart sinks just a little more.

Because truly, I don't think I am a bad person. I do not believe I no longer have any moral authority to call myself a 'citizen; of this country. At the most, I am guilty of being lazy--because I did not get my voter ID on time.

On the contrary, I think I am an involved citizen. I religiously segregate my waste, separating dry from wet--and then I deliver the bags to the dry waste collection centre. When I see a creature in distress--street dog/animal/bird, whatever--I call CUPA or local NGOs so that they can find shelter for the poor creatures. I am polite to folk generally ignored in our society--door men, security guards, parking attendants. And I say 'please' and 'thank you' if someone does something for me, like, hold open a door so I can pass through.

More important, whenever I see a man assaulting a woman in public, I step forward. Twice, I have seen men beat up/insult and harangue the women they were with. Both times this happened at the local park I go to. Yet other walkers and park-goers, pretended nothing happened and went on with their lives. Both times, I approached the men, said I would call the police if they didn't stop hurting the women. One man was all bluster, blaming the woman for 'natak' as he put it. The other man, a cruder individual, proceeded to insult me in Tamil (my Tamil is very basic so thankfully, I don't know what he actually said). And what of the women who were being assaulted? Well, both times, they pleaded with me to go away, to not interfere. So did I make things worse for them? I really don't know but I will never be able to stand by and watch when such assaults happen in front of me.

So, yes, I care about my city, it's changing weather, the growing lack of 'green' spaces. I care about my family, my child's future. I care also about the fact that I couldn't vote. But I am not a bad citizen.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...