Skip to main content

Feel like a pickle?

I am not Nigella. I do not pout sexily on the few occasions I do enter my kitchen. Nope, I have a cook. Okay, update. I don't have a cook any more. She upped and left. So now I cook for my family and I mostly enjoy it. But no I still don't look like Nigella. Or cook as sexily as her!

But I do love to experiment. I love to bake pies, biscuits and my fondest wish is to someday bake cakes that will come out soft and "incredibly moist" as all the food blogs I sometimes drool over, tell me.

No, cooking is not therapeutic for me. It's supremely stressful--all that cutting, chopping, slicing and at the end of it all, cleaning. What I do love is the end product, specially if it's come out nice. It's a double-edged sword though. If my cake is lumpy and hasn't risen well, I sink into gloom much like my unrisen dough. But I'm determined to try, try and try till I become a dab hand at cooking and baking.

Anyway, for me, food has to have a little zest, a little crunchiness, a little tang, even a little fire, to be palatable. So pickles are something I love. Store-bought pickles, unfortunately, give me indigestion. Mainly because I take liberal helpings at lunch and dinner. So my solution is to make my own pickle, using leftover lime peel. My version is completely vegan, has no vinegar and contains very little oil.

Recently, I made my lime pickle again. And this time, I remembered to click an image. It's not a terribly great photograph, but serves the purpose.  Here it is:

Lime, chilli, garlic ginger pickle


Anyway, this pickle will help you re-use, recycle and stay rupee-wise.

If you're buying limes, don't get too many. I bought just five limes. After you've squeezed out the juice, you'll be left with rather sad-looking used peel. So, what you need is:

One glass bottle with lid (any size glass container will do).
Chillies (I put three pieces, slit length-wise and cut into smaller bits)
Salt (two tsp) or more
Ginger (2 or 3-inchlong pieces cut into slender bits)
Garlic (4-6 pods)
Ginger-garlic paste 2 tsp
Plus a dash of cooking oil (any kind) as preservative

Put the lime peel, the ginger and garlic, the paste, the chillies and the salt into the bottle. The salt will seep into the lime, the chillies, garlic and ginger and slowly but steadily, soften the mass. Leave for a week or two in a shady place. Shake well each day. The first time I made this, I did not refrigerate, but now that the weather's heating up, leaving it in the fridge is a good idea. Have a taste after a week or so. If the flavour is to your liking, leave it be. This is delicious with curd rice and adds a zing to any meal.

Enjoy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...