Skip to main content

Small town joys and a TV set

When I was 12 years old, we almost bought a television set. It wasn't ours, sadly. Our neighbours had bought a TV and the delivery guys mistakenly delivered it home.

I was so giddy with excitement, I couldn't sit still. Then the delivery guys said, sorry and went away. I still remember that awful disappointment, that sickening lurch I felt. Of course, my father bought a TV set too, how could he not, when the neighbours had one? So, eventually we were proud owners of an Uptron colour television set. Those days various state government agencies made quality gadgets. In Kerala, we had Keltron TV sets, though I have no idea why we bought an Uptron TV. Anyway, it lasted us years.

Naturally, the TV had pride of place in our living room--my parents actually converted an unused window space into a little wooden cabinet (complete with two doors), for this contraption of wires and picture tube.

Soon my evenings were filled with Didi Drives me Crazy and Spiderman Cartoons. As I grew older, I watched Katha Sagar, Ek Kahaani and Bharat Ek Khoj. Sundays were for Sherlock Holmes, starring Jeremy Brett (the best Holmes ever, at least for me) and of course, Sunday mornings were devoted to our family viewing sessions of Ramayan and Mahabharath. Then adding contemporary colour, not to mention, song was Chitrahaar, with Surabhi (and who can forget Renuka Shahane's dazzling smile?) adding a dash of culture.

In my teens, hating my body and it's changing shape, trying to make sense of the new awareness I had of boys, I surreptitiously watched wildly inappropriate foreign language films (where teachers seduced their students and, young adolescents "became men" after a visit to a local whore). Oh yes, I also saw brilliant films like Ek Doctor ki Mauth starring 'karamchand' Kapoor, so it was not just about watching arty A-rated stuff. I watched those movies, way past midnight, almost every week. No parental controls applied then. I guess parents trusted their children more. Or maybe, it's that there was no internet or Youtube constantly streaming porn.

Yes, the television set was a huge presence in my life. Probably because I really didn't have too many friends, growing up. I was alone a lot, but I really wasn't lonely. Because, TV for me wasn't the 'idiot box'. It involved intelligent viewing. It broadened my world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...