Skip to main content

Life lessons from little people


Sometimes children say and do the darndest things. And help you learn something new about life and living....

When little man was just over a year old, he ate a cockroach egg. Or at least, he tried to.
But my husband noticed and hurriedly got it out. Baby probably had a taste, though. Ugh.

Why did he think he could eat something like that? I realised children don’t subscribe to our notions of ‘good’, ‘bad’ and utterly yuck--till we actually (like I did), have a mini meltdown and yell that they absolutely cannot just pick up shiny, brown objects, just because said objects look interesting!

But then children are so open in their approach to life. So trusting, for one thing. For a long time, when he was a baby, he would happily exclaim "Ajja" or ‘Ajji’ (Kannada for ‘grandfather/grandmother') whenever he spotted a white-haired gentleman or lady. He would hold his arms out with a winsome smile. The recipients would coo and respond in kind. Till, my husband and I, with fear in our hearts and thoughts of child abusers on the prowl, very strictly told him, that no, he must not run after strange white-haired people; that they can be ‘very very bad’ people too. Even as we did that, I knew that in our 'adult'ness, we are changing his view of the world. In our adulthood, unlike him, we’ve lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently.

Mundane magic
Little man is growing up now. But he sees something magical where I only see the mundane. One evening, he and I were walking on a quiet lane beside our home in Bangalore. Singing nonsense songs and skipping along, he suddenly bowed and said hello to a vehicle parked outside a home.

“Why are you doing that,” I said, “...cars don’t talk”, I proclaimed, secure in my infinite wisdom. “But cars in cartoons do,” he pointed out.

A little way down that same road, we passed by another home where a German Shepherd barked stridently at us. “Why is that dog barking,” little man asked.
“Because he’s a guard dog and he’s actually asking us ‘who are you', I replied.
Immediately, he went back, stood in front of the dog, and said loudly: “I’m Ishayu and this is my mom!”

The dog looked rather taken aback and titled his shaggy head to one side the way dogs do when they are puzzled. And what did I do? Looked on nonplussed, feeling my heart melt inside, bursting with the love I feel for this child who makes me see and experience the world differently.

One morning, just after he’d woken up, he rubbed his sleepy eyes, and held out his hand to his father.
“What is that,” asked dad.
“It’s sleepy dust,” said little man.
He’d picked out the grit from the corner of his eyes! Once again, he showed us how wonderful the ordinary can be.

Ishayu is nearly five now. He is a naughty little chap and often gets into trouble with me. Yet even if I whack him or rant and rave at his doings, he takes it all in his stride. Then, through his tears, he holds his hands out to me for comfort, crying “Amma”. He doesn't hold grudges. And that is when my pettiness makes me feel miserable and small. Just like that cockroach egg.

One of his most favourite things is to hear stories of what he did as a baby. He smiles sheepishly then (in a “Did I really do that?!” fashion). And did I mention that he also loves to watch adults squirm when we tell them the story of the cockroach egg.

These stories belong to our family treasure house of memories. We tell them over and over again, to remind ourselves we must embrace life too; that we can discover a different world, if only we look at it differently. 

NB: I wrote this originally for my college magazine (Providence Womens' College in Calicut (Kozhikode), Kerala, is my Alma Mater)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hooked

I think I'm hooked. Totally and absolutely Booked. I've got it real bad And that's kinda sad. Shopping was never my thing It didn't give me a zing. Problem is, this is so easy Sounds darn cheesy. But when I spot a deal Half-price, what a steal! It's like I'm manic Some kind of panic. No time to ponder, or reflect Here goes nothing, what the heck! First I click on buy Then I go, oh my! For I've done it again Seen a sale, felt the pain Of being afflicted Totally addicted To shopping online Come rain or shine. So yeah, I'm hooked, Absolutely booked. I don't know what to do. How about you? ______________________

My other uterus

Read the other day about an American woman who had twins. Nothing exceptional in that, except that she has a condition called uterus didelphys, a rare congenital phenomenon where the uterus comprises not one, but two cavities or two separate uteruses. Basically, the babies grew in the two uterii. Okay so what, you think. Well, I have two uteruses (or uterii, or whatever), too. And I just had a baby. My baby grew in my right uterus, so the left one was empty. But it kinda made way as the right one expanded over a period of nine months. So did my stomach stick out on one side? Nope. It looked like every other pregnant woman's tummy. It was only different on the inside. This uterus didelphys is a tricky thing. Doctors will tell you that conception is well nigh impossible with this condition. That you need fertility treatment, IVF, pill-popping, all the very best medical science can offer. And of course, if you also have poly cystic ovaries like I do, things look even worse. But gues

Pain (a short-fiction piece)

"Shalu, open the door. For god's sake, let me see you. Please, can we talk?” She can hear the desperation in Ajith's voice. In the background, a child is crying loudly, their son. He is scared something is wrong with amma and appa. His hands, feet and neck are red and slightly swollen. The mark of an angry hand is clearly visible. Her hand.   She cannot open the door. cannot move, the pain inside her so full to bursting that only a greater pain can make it bearable. This hand I used to hit him, she mumbles to herself, this hand, I wish I could cut it off, if only...it will break, crumble into nothingness. Just like me, just like me.... She stops, body bruised and aching. Throwing herself against the wall again and again, to dull the pain inside, has left her knuckles grazed, but the bones are not broken. No, not so easy to break, she thinks. Not so easy to erase what I have done to the one being who is solely dependent on me. I am a monster. Outside the locked door