Skip to main content

Just a regular morning...

Wake up now, it's going to be late
Wake up please. No, I can't come and be with you
I'm making your snack for school.
So get up, you know you have to go to school.
(to be honest, I need you to go, more than you need to go!)
Eat up now, quickly.
Chew, no, no...I said CHEW
Don't just swallow everything down!

Hurry up, the time's a-ticking.
A quick wash.
Stay still, let me smoothen your hair
Stay STILL, for a minute!

You don't want to wear this shirt? What's wrong with it?
What the...Great, I've got a pint-sized sartorialist here!
Alright, alright, you can wear those pants for the nth time
No, no, just put on your crocs,
Why, oh why, do you want those shoes?
Sheesh, you're so late, they're gonna lock the gates

Okay, finally. Bye then. Have fun.
Yes, baby, I'll have fun too.

Why does he put up with me?
I'm not terribly patient.
Every morning, I become a 'lecturemama'
Do this, don't do that.
But guess what, he puts up with it
Because I'm his mother.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...