Skip to main content

Shudh desi romance

The other day, I went looking for an ordinary pair of scissors and found a Chota bheem scissors pack, complete with several multi-coloured removable blades. Made in China, naturally.

I've seen toys sold in Channapatna bearing 'Made in China' labels. Practically every toy available in mainstream toy shops, even those that come free in 'Happy Meal' pouches, also share the same place of origin. But the Chota Bheem rip-offs, the Channapatna fakes? That goody-two-shoes cartoon character, so quick with his fists and so beloved of Indian boys (and girls), is the product of a desi animation house. And Channapatna lacquer is part of our heritage. Yet the Chinese are already there and happily exploiting an eager market. 

Yes the Chinese are experts at faking it. How else do you think regular girls and women afford Louis Vuittons and Diors and Chanels? Not that I'm complaining. The big brands can certainly take some competition when it comes to fleecing people. If a woman who can afford to, spends lakhs on bags that appear undeniably ugly to me, well that's her affair. But when the Chinese start churning out too many of the fake branded stuff, the brands fight back. They get the local police to take action. And then we are presented with photos of piles of fake Guccis and LVs and Diors going up in smoke.

But who cares really if some Chinese maker is bringing out replicas of Channapatna toys? I do, very much. I care this deprives local artisans and businesses and entrepreneurs of their livelihood. So when I buy toys (except when the toys are part of McDonald's Happy Meal and little man wants only that and nothing else!!), I go to Sutradhar off CMH Road, Indiranagar, where you get toys, puzzles, books, other educational aids (including microscopes that you can assemble from scratch), beaded-necklace kits and so on--of utterly 'desi' origins. Windchimes on Hutchins Road also has very, very native brands, stuffed toys, and other little goodies, totally made in India. Another nice place to browse stuff is the 100 Ft Boutique (and restaurant), Indiranagar, where you get brands like Chumbak, Happily Unmarried, Haathi Chaap, Cutting Chai designs and Blue Bean shoes (I know Tanya Bhat, the stylist and shoe designer but no, I don't ask for a discount!)

It takes a little effort but supporting small and local businesses is worth it--for me, I mean. Because doing that means I'm giving the finger to the fakes.

www.sutradhar.com

Windchimes, 24, Hutchins Rd, Cooke Town,
080 2546 0697

100 Ft Boutique/Restaurant
777/1, 2nd Stage, Aashiana, 100 Feet Road, Indiranagar  à²¬ೆಂಗಳೂರು, KA 560038
080 2527 7752

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...