Skip to main content

Saluting the sun

Every weekday morning, I stumble out of bed at the insistence of my alarm clock, wishing myself extra snooze time. Not that I wake up at the crack of dawn or anything, (like other amazing mothers I know). I get up around 7-7.15 am, because I have a little boy whose Lightning McQueen snack box needs to be filled up. And said little man also has to be given a decent breakfast. Accomplishing that, every day, leaves me feeling very proud of myself, to be honest

The only problem is, once the little fellow is off to pre-school--bathed, dressed and fed, then the zonkness hits me. Even the enormous mug of filter coffee I prep my mornings with, has stopped working by then. That's when I know, I need to salute the sun.

The sun salutation or the surya namaskar is a 12-step series of asanas, involving breathing right, stretching and general all-round limbering up. I started doing it last year, when my asthma had me using a very strong inhalor-- Foracort 400, which actually comes with it's own 'start-stop' book. That is, you have to mark down the date you start using it, and note down when it gets over, before you get a refill, and so on.

Anyway, over the course of a year, I gained six or seven kilos. I'm 5' 1" and ideally my weight should be less than 55 kgs. But last year, I went up to 62 kgs. My face became puffier, my stomach looked pregnant again. Needless to say, I absolutely and totally loathed being in photographs. I hated myself. Plus, I knew I needed a long-term, healthy solution to get my breathing under control.

A close friend M had been raving about surya namaskar--how she felt lighter, better, and so on, once she started practising it. So I you tubed the sequence and started. The first few times I did surya namaskar, I literally kept my eyes glued to the screen till I memorised the asanas. And I realised she is right.

The surya namaskar is truly incredible. I do the sequence just a couple of times, and that too, not every day (because I'm lazy). But when I do, the sequence immediately calms me down. I feel lighter, more flexible, my lower back pain (something I've had since my C-section delivery nearly five years ago) is so much better and my breathing, easier. I'm prone to allergic rhinitis and doing the surya namaskar helps with that too. Also, I've stopped using my Foracort inhalor and use a regular Asthalin inhalor now. And because I feel stronger, I've included more cardio into my exercise routine and I am six kgs lighter! I yo-yo between 56 and 58 kgs most weeks.

The process to getting healthier started with the surya namaskar.
Saluting the sun is an absolutely beautiful thing. And it makes me feel beautiful too.


  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...