Skip to main content

The 'Nigellas' around us

The man had been spewing abuse for over 30 minutes. 
He ranted, he raved. She stood there, head bowed.
Who was he, I don't know. Who she was, I don't care. 
Let's be honest, they were simply a nuisance.
People walked, jogged past them
Carefully navigating around that angry, shouting man.
I understand Tamil but not what he shouted at her.
Words so crude, so cruel, they felt like stones.
My friend and I were at the park too.
We ignored the couple for as long as we could.
Why did she keep standing there, I asked myself.
Why didn't she just walk away?
Then he spat on her, and she let his spittle rain on her.

Finally, she took a few steps away, walking slowly, head bent
Eyes down, she avoided all the curious faces turning to her.
He stood there too looking after her.
He was angry, you see, that she was actually walking away.
So, he followed her on his bike.
He forced her to turn to him, shook her hard.
Still she said nothing, did nothing.
I saw the park 'regulars' watching, no one saying anything
No one doing anything.
Scared, heart beating fast I walked up to them, my friend beside me.
Why do you shout, abuse her like this, I asked?
Who are you, he screamed at me?
He abused me too in Tamil.
Thank God I don't know what he said.
But it sounded terrible, like someone stripping me of my dignity.
People gathered around, he shouted at them too.
"Go home," they told the couple, take this 'fight' home, they told him.
They didn't want to interfere, you see.
Why do you stay with him, is he your husband, I asked that woman.
She just looked at me.
When I tried to take a photo of his bike's number plate
She gently stopped me, tried to shoo me, get me to go.

Who was that man, I don't know.
Who was that woman, I don't know.
I was scared. In my heart, fear beat hard and strong.
What if he came back, targeted my friend and me?
So we walked away. She chose to stay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...