Skip to main content

Ma, you're right...as usual!

My mother is one of those people who has an opinion on everything. She can discuss cricket like a pro and dissect a game, better than Siddhu. She often corrects my English (usually when I am in mid-sentence) and tells me almost every day, that I fuss over my son.

Irritatingly enough, she is often spot on.

The other day, when we were discussing the problems new moms face today. I said some babies can be cranky, making like miserable for their moms. So Ma made one of her sweeping statements: "In my time, babies used to sleep more. Babies and children today fuss more, sleep less".

Of course, I saw red and we sparred back and forth for a while. "Ma", I told her, you had two helpers (she did too!) to take care of your daughters, so you were able to go work. You weren't really a hands-on mother."

But thinking back, I am convinced my mother is right. How it irks me to say that. My own little fellow is a prime example. When he was a baby, I used to walk holding him for hours, he just wouldn't sleep! That was great for my weight loss, but left me exhausted. Now, he is going to be four and still takes a long time to sleep.

The reason I think, is that he is exposed to and surrounded by too much technology, which in turn, leaves his brain overstimulated. Basically, I think the little fellow is unable to calm down. Let me explain what I mean.

I used to let him watch television for two hours every day (while he has his lunch). But for the past couple of months, he's been watching tv in the nights too (with us, his parents). And then, that's not counting the times he spends tapping and typing out letters on the laptop, or watching his fav cartoons (Spiderman, Green Lantern, Superman, et al!). So while he is and has always been active--he runs around, plays his version of football, cricket, run-and-catch, I noticed that despite the physical activity, he was becoming increasingly restless and hyper.

When we had guests over, he would constantly interrupt, demand that we talk to him, and not let us adults talk. When we went out (to the supermarket for example) he would instantly demand toys and candies. If we refused, he would have a tantrum, whine loudly, make a racket and so on. Plus, he could not sit still, or focus on anything (unless of course, the TV was on). Worse, at night, he would take upto an hour and a half just to go to sleep.

I realised something is seriously wrong. Now, we've changed our lifestyle. The little one is allowed TV only in the afternoons. Thereafter, TV is banned, for him and us--no laptop (I work when he sleeps), no games on the cellphone for him. So far, it seems to be working (touch wood). He is much more calm and less hyper, less attention-deficient. He actually likes to sit by himself and do puzzles, read his book (that is, look at the pictures). Best of all, takes less time to go to sleep (touch wood, again!).

When I was a child in Kerala, I would climb trees, play hide-and-seek or cricket (I was a fast bowler) or badminton. Or I would read--I began with Enid Blyton, then moved to the William (by Richmal Crompton) series, then Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Mary Stewart, M&Bs, crime thrillers, Sydney Sheldon... you name it, I read it. I used to watch TV but very little of it. And I only learnt how to use a PC in college. So yes, I had very little exposure to technology of any kind.

Now I work on a laptop and often, I get red-eyed and headachy after a while. And when I work late into the night to meet a deadline, I find I cannot sleep easily.

So ma, you were right, after all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...