Skip to main content

Posh doc or peoples' doc?

Never realised that becoming a parent is going change the way I look at the world. And the people in it. And more importantly, the paediatricians doctoring it!

We go to a doc who runs a small clinic in our area. She's a Coorg, very practical and a mother of two herself. She also remembers the names of her regulars. Her little patients, I mean. Which is, I've discovered, very important to me.Knowing that she knows lil C by name, makes me trust her more. Coz it shows she takes the trouble to keep track of the babies she treats.

A while ago, we went to another doc, in another part of town. He's a big shot in the little childrens'-doctor-business. Has a big consultation above his home in a posh part of town. He also gets the poshest clients--upperclass nicely-dressed women with nicely-dressed children in tow. With him, you need to book an appointment at least a day or two in advance. First time we met, he commented on lil C's unusual name, told us an anecdote, made us laugh. Made us feel happy. We liked him and found him a very knowledgeable doc. A good doc, in fact.

Next time we met, he gave us a blank look. It was obvious, he didn't remember us. Or the unusual name he'd commented on so wittily, last time around.

So we now go to our original choice. She keeps an open house so parents from really poor families turn up, as well as folks in big cars, who sometimes turn up, maids in tow. She doesn't need appointments, it's more a first-come-first-in-the-door, with her. Somedays, the crowd is so great that baby and I wait an hour to see her. She rarely charges more than Rs 100.

But best of all, for me, she calls lil C by name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning scenes

The wind blustery Skies grey blue A light so muted Birds are quiet too We walkers go Sidestepping Couple-dancing No touching Looking or meeting Glances…Oh no!   Masks dangling From chins Below noses Hanging from one ear Or sometimes Fitting so properly Covering everything So no one can see Or know What we’re really like.   Runners running Soundlessly Iron determination Seeping through So much so   That dogs being walked Know they cannot Wag tails Or even Bark a greeting.   Two men Creating content One breaking into Hair flipping, body popping Dance Faithful friend filming In fits and starts As a security guard Sips his chai Utterly bemused.

Why?

Two times now, I've seen it happen. Twice, I've seen men, ordinary-looking chaps, verbally and physically abuse the women with them. While people around them did nothing. One man was young, he had an identity tag. He wore formal pants, nice stout shoes. I saw him kick the young woman with him, straight in the gut, with those shoes. His companion was in burkha but she seemed young.  The other man was older. He harangued the woman with him loudly and crudely. He spat at her, followed her when she tried to walk away. Shook her by the shoulders, repeatedly. Both men did this at a public park, in full view of dozens of people milling around. Walkers walked, joggers jogged, various men lounged about, sat around. The onlookers watched the two men do these terrible things. And they did nothing. I am not a brave person. In my heart I was terribly afraid--that if I confront them, they could hurt me, find out where I live, hurt my family. But I was ashamed to stand by and watch. S...

Cockroach eggs and innocence

Baby ate a cockroach egg last night. At least, he tried to. C noticed and got it out. But the lil' one must have gotten a taste. Yuck, ewww! Really and truly. But then, I got thinking. He ate it because he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. He doesn't know what bad is. Or evil. Or lies. Or hate. He doesn't know, what it is, you see, to be all grown-up and knowing what is right and wrong. And who is good and bad. That's why, when he sees a white-haired gentleman, he says "Ajja". How can I tell him then, that I'm afraid not all "Ajjas" are safe to be around. That in our adultness, we've lost the capacity to trust infinitely and innocently. That we can't really, because we've corrupted ourselves too much. That's why, even if I whack him and shout at him in my pettiness, he'll screw up his face and bawl his heart out. And then hold his arms out to me. And that's when I feel miserably small and just like tha...