Skip to main content

Of builders, bungalows and 'Not for Sale' boards

A sign I found on a private property on Spencer Road
The sign says it all: A bungalow in the Cantonment area in Bengaluru
The quaint names, the tree-lined streets, the quiet roads and most important, the bungalows make the Cantonment area, a sure-shot target for real estate 'developers'.

My husband and I moved here ten years ago because of this old world charm--we loved the serene areas in and around Cooke Town, the streets adjoining Mosque Road, the hidden gems around Richards Park. But now standalone homes, of every size, from stately bungalows to matchbox-shaped houses, are morphing into apartment buildings. And the end result is a sandwiched existence.

Take Davis Road for instance, where I live. Our building is a co-development project, a pact between the original owner and a builder (thankfully, the original structure was not a bungalow). Over the years, more co-development apartments have sprung up around us. In fact, now the buildings are so closely packed together, that we residents are forced to unwillingly participate in each other's joys and sorrows, listen to each other fight and make up, cry or celebrate. A rather uncomfortable way to live, really.

On the other hand, life is infinitely more difficult for those who own houses and bungalows (with the term 'bungalow' referring to homes with the distinctive architecture of old Bangalore--latticed porches, monkey tops, high ceilings, verandahs and a garden/yard). Because often, builders try to get owners to sell, even when they don't want to. I witnessed this first hand, many years ago, when I had gone to visit the late (retd) Admiral Dawson. Admiral Dawson's beautiful bungalow off Viviani Road, is just a hop and skip away from Richards Park. A piece of old Bangalore history and unfortunately, also prime property. That day, a builders' scout/agent was there, urging the Admiral to sell. The elderly gentleman had refused point blank but the agent was incredibly persistent. And that was years ago.

Pricey, not precious?
Now the pressure on owners is much more intense. Because Cooke Town and it's surroundings are now among the priciest areas in Bengaluru. Well-designed, spacious 10-year-old apartments here command prices of Rs 1 crore to Rs 1.5 crore so you can imagine how lucrative a business it is to build new apartments. So harassed owners have been putting up little notices on their gates and walls that declare 'This House is Not For Sale'. Such notices are now more visible than ever--I spotted them on a bungalow between Moore and Robertson Roads, on private property near Spencer Road, and on a majestic bungalow near Thom's Cafe.
In the Cantonment area, when owners are away for a while, their homes slowly become overgrown with vegetation. These bungalows then end up attracting the aggressive attention of builders' agents/scouts. In some cases, the owners get easily intimidated and are pressured into selling their property. In other instances, the owners do want to move on, because they believe living in an apartment is safer then being on their own. So the situation is a complex one. 

Not a new problem
This clash of commerce and culture, as it were, is not new. The disappearance of the city's distinctive bungalows has been a source of concern for years. In 1994, the late former Chief Secretary, T.P.Issar (old copies of his book 'The City Beautiful' are available for $25 to $70 online!); the late Bangalore Urban Art Commission Chairman, M.A.Parthasarthy; and the late culture activist, Naomi Meadows, wanted a state heritage conservation commission set up to “selectively preserve important heritage sites in Bangalore and elsewhere.” In 2002, I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Issar while reporting on heritage conservation for The Hindu newspaper. Mr. Issar stressed that he and the others had sought special focus on private property such as old bungalows in the city. ``Now they (bungalows) are almost wiped out. We thought the commission could acquire at least 10 of them as symbols of a culture gone by," was what he said, then. For my original article in The Hindu newspaper, click here: http://www.hindu.com/2002/06/14/stories/2002061408630300.htm

Nothing came of the trio's recommendations and I don't know if such a commission would have actually been effective. But don't you think the three heritage enthusiasts would have been anguished at the state of the city and it's bungalows?

(This is from:
http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/blogs/connected-lives/blog_posts/of-builders-bungalows-and-not-for-sale-boards)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My other uterus

Read the other day about an American woman who had twins. Nothing exceptional in that, except that she has a condition called uterus didelphys, a rare congenital phenomenon where the uterus comprises not one, but two cavities or two separate uteruses. Basically, the babies grew in the two uterii. Okay so what, you think. Well, I have two uteruses (or uterii, or whatever), too. And I just had a baby. My baby grew in my right uterus, so the left one was empty. But it kinda made way as the right one expanded over a period of nine months. So did my stomach stick out on one side? Nope. It looked like every other pregnant woman's tummy. It was only different on the inside. This uterus didelphys is a tricky thing. Doctors will tell you that conception is well nigh impossible with this condition. That you need fertility treatment, IVF, pill-popping, all the very best medical science can offer. And of course, if you also have poly cystic ovaries like I do, things look even worse. But gues

Hooked

I think I'm hooked. Totally and absolutely Booked. I've got it real bad And that's kinda sad. Shopping was never my thing It didn't give me a zing. Problem is, this is so easy Sounds darn cheesy. But when I spot a deal Half-price, what a steal! It's like I'm manic Some kind of panic. No time to ponder, or reflect Here goes nothing, what the heck! First I click on buy Then I go, oh my! For I've done it again Seen a sale, felt the pain Of being afflicted Totally addicted To shopping online Come rain or shine. So yeah, I'm hooked, Absolutely booked. I don't know what to do. How about you? ______________________

Pain (a short-fiction piece)

"Shalu, open the door. For god's sake, let me see you. Please, can we talk?” She can hear the desperation in Ajith's voice. In the background, a child is crying loudly, their son. He is scared something is wrong with amma and appa. His hands, feet and neck are red and slightly swollen. The mark of an angry hand is clearly visible. Her hand.   She cannot open the door. cannot move, the pain inside her so full to bursting that only a greater pain can make it bearable. This hand I used to hit him, she mumbles to herself, this hand, I wish I could cut it off, if only...it will break, crumble into nothingness. Just like me, just like me.... She stops, body bruised and aching. Throwing herself against the wall again and again, to dull the pain inside, has left her knuckles grazed, but the bones are not broken. No, not so easy to break, she thinks. Not so easy to erase what I have done to the one being who is solely dependent on me. I am a monster. Outside the locked door