Skip to main content

No Country for Old Men (or women)

My mother cares for my father, who has dementia. She is 70 this year. He turns 83, I think. We're not sure, actually, because my dad has never been forthright about his age. "When we got married, there was 12 years between us. But every year, the gap grows smaller," says my mother of the age gap between them. It doesn't matter anymore really because for my father, age is now a state of mind. Older memories feel real, the present is something he cannot comprehend or deal with.

Some evenings at 3.30 pm, he tells my mother that I will come home soon. I think at that time in his head, I am still in college and he expects me to open the gate and get home any minute now. Sometimes, at around 2 or 3 am, he wakes my mother up saying he's going to Calicut. Never mind that they live in Calicut. Inside his brain, something tells him he's not home yet. So while my mother watches, he slowly attempts to get out of bed. After a while, he tells her, he'll leave in a bit. So they go back to sleep.

Every day, my mother has to ensure that my father has no opportunity to open the gate and go out. Once when they were on a train back to Calicut after visiting me in Bangalore, my father got down at a station and walked off. By a miracle we found him again. But we may not always be so lucky. Because I live in Bangalore and my sister in Dubai, it's my mother's lot to look after him, clean up after him and yes, make sure he doesn't go wandering away. They could come and live with me, of course, but my mother says Calicut is her home. There she has her friends, a well-paying job that ensures she gets out of home for a little while every week. Besides, they live in a proper house, with a yard, a drinking water well and space to walk about. Here in our tiny flat in Bangalore, my father feels constricted. He cannot settle down. Always he is anxious that it is time to go back to "Calicut". It is more a destination than a place for him.

Last week, my mother hosted a care-givers meeting at our home in Calicut. Quite a few men and women came--women with husbands who have Alzheimers or dementia, men caring for wives who are slowly wasting away, mentally and physically. Each spoke of the tremendous patience and strength it takes to be a 'care-giver'. Sharing their experiences and struggles gave them support, says my mother, a feeling they are no longer alone, that there is someone else who understands what a toll caring takes.

There are many people who do this across our country, because we are a nation with a growing problem--senior citizens who slowly develop Alzheimer's or related disorders that cannot be cured or reversed. There is practically no infrastructure or support system to help such people or their families. There is an Alzheimer's and Related Disorders Society of India (www.alzheimer.org.in) which is a group, entirely voluntary in nature, that aims to create a support system for people like my mother, in caring for people like my father.

ARDSI runs day care centres across India and even some Old Age Homes to look after people with advanced dementia. In Calicut, there is a Malabar Harmony Home located very close to my old school, St Joseph's Anglo Indian Girls' High School. Pradeep from the Home comes to my house twice a week to bathe my father and make sure he is clean. Pradeep is a caregiver at the Home and he is a boon for my mother, because my father, so truculent with her, is as passive as an obedient child with him.


Now ARDSI, Calicut, who employs Pradeep, plans to shift the Home. Their lease at the old premises is up. Problem is, the only land available is far out of town, difficult to reach for those who need it the most, the elderly. Come to think of it, why are old age homes and care homes located so far from the centre of a city, any city? If anything, care homes for those with dementia need to be even more accessible, not shunted to the outskirts. People like my father tend to wander, because their brains are slowly shutting down--so everything from memory to coordination and logical thinking no longer exists. So if a person with dementia walks out of such a care home, he or she is at great risk--from the elements, speeding vehicles, falls, anything really. Imagine someone like my father shuffling along aimlessly, somewhere in the outskirts, close to the highways. It would be almost certain death.

It is so easy to classify people as "old" or "elderly". But when we do that, we forget they are our fathers and mothers, uncles and aunts. We also forget that one day, we too can end up just like them.

 (ends)

Comments

Chin said…
D! I can only think of two powers: that of the media and that of collective strength...
What does the Malabar harmony home want to do? Are they looking for an alternative space/ funding? Do you think we could locate funders and write a proposal to seek support for the Home...?
Also, do you think posting this on FB would help...?
Hey, after I wrote this, my mother told me they've found another location, but far out of town. So I modified the entire thing. Sorry but my overwhelming feeling was relief that they at least found something.

Popular posts from this blog

My other uterus

Read the other day about an American woman who had twins. Nothing exceptional in that, except that she has a condition called uterus didelphys, a rare congenital phenomenon where the uterus comprises not one, but two cavities or two separate uteruses. Basically, the babies grew in the two uterii. Okay so what, you think. Well, I have two uteruses (or uterii, or whatever), too. And I just had a baby. My baby grew in my right uterus, so the left one was empty. But it kinda made way as the right one expanded over a period of nine months. So did my stomach stick out on one side? Nope. It looked like every other pregnant woman's tummy. It was only different on the inside. This uterus didelphys is a tricky thing. Doctors will tell you that conception is well nigh impossible with this condition. That you need fertility treatment, IVF, pill-popping, all the very best medical science can offer. And of course, if you also have poly cystic ovaries like I do, things look even worse. But gues

Hooked

I think I'm hooked. Totally and absolutely Booked. I've got it real bad And that's kinda sad. Shopping was never my thing It didn't give me a zing. Problem is, this is so easy Sounds darn cheesy. But when I spot a deal Half-price, what a steal! It's like I'm manic Some kind of panic. No time to ponder, or reflect Here goes nothing, what the heck! First I click on buy Then I go, oh my! For I've done it again Seen a sale, felt the pain Of being afflicted Totally addicted To shopping online Come rain or shine. So yeah, I'm hooked, Absolutely booked. I don't know what to do. How about you? ______________________

Pain (a short-fiction piece)

"Shalu, open the door. For god's sake, let me see you. Please, can we talk?” She can hear the desperation in Ajith's voice. In the background, a child is crying loudly, their son. He is scared something is wrong with amma and appa. His hands, feet and neck are red and slightly swollen. The mark of an angry hand is clearly visible. Her hand.   She cannot open the door. cannot move, the pain inside her so full to bursting that only a greater pain can make it bearable. This hand I used to hit him, she mumbles to herself, this hand, I wish I could cut it off, if only...it will break, crumble into nothingness. Just like me, just like me.... She stops, body bruised and aching. Throwing herself against the wall again and again, to dull the pain inside, has left her knuckles grazed, but the bones are not broken. No, not so easy to break, she thinks. Not so easy to erase what I have done to the one being who is solely dependent on me. I am a monster. Outside the locked door